Re: fuel tank filter

To: ronfineesq@earthlink.net, Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fuel tank filter
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:57:23 EDT
In a message dated 7/25/2004 4:50:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ronfineesq@earthlink.net writes:
Just a question.  How does one remove the fuel tank filter at the end of the
pickup without cutting open the tank?  The fitting at the outside of the
tank is a right angle fitting so you can't just push something stiff down it
to punch a hole in the filter so is there some other way to open up the
filter without opening up the tank?
Ron--

Since I had already determined that I was going to install a filter between
the tank and the pump I cut the hard fuel line at approximately the apex of the
wheel arch.  This allowed me to unfasten the fitting at the tank and withdraw
the pickup for removal of the screen.

I did all this as part of installing a back-up NAPA fuel pump upstream of the
SU so I have flex hose going from the filter  to the NAPA to the SU.  It is a
neat installation and easily accessed by removing the left rear wheel.

BTW, the filter built into the SU pump needs also to be checked for crud as
it does not have that great a junk capacity.

Best--Michael Oritt