Re: fuel tank filter

To: ronfineesq@earthlink.net, Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fuel tank filter
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:42:48 EDT
In a message dated 7/25/2004 6:08:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ronfineesq@earthlink.net writes:
Michael,  my tank is out of my car but the 90 degree fitting at the tank
looks like it is welded to the tank.  I didn't want to mess with that weld.
Any
other suggestions?
----------------------------------
Ron--

The SU repair manual suggests that if the pump is running fast without
delivering adequate fuel then the problem is either "an air leak on the suction
side, dirt under the valves, or faulty valve cage sealing washers" and I
suspect
that one of those conditions is the problem  A clog upstream of the
pump--including a plugged screen or filter--should show down the pump's action
as it will
in essence be pulling against a vacuum.

I don't know why--or how--your 90 degree fitting is "welded".  Assuming
original layout, the tank-end of the one-piece line that runs forward to the
fuel
pump should be extractable from the tank when the compression nut fastened to
the tank flange through which the line passes is unscrewed.  If yours is not
then I wonder how you got the tank disconnected to remove it?

In any case, if you cannot get the pickup out of the tank then perhaps you
can pierce the screen filter by using some heavy solder or very flexible wire
that might conform to whatever bends are in it. I just think it is good
practice
to remove or disable any filter that cannot be easily accessed in the field.

Best--Michael Oritt