Re: Healey Audio

Subject: Re: Healey Audio
From: "Len and/or Marge" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:55:01 -0700
About headphones.....    CA Veh. Code, Section 27400, "No person operating
any motor vehicle or bicycle shall wear any headset covering, or any
earplugs in , both ears....".  That gives us a little leeway (especially
those idiots that want to talk hands-free on their cell phones while
driving).  There are exceptions for those operating vehicles or machinery
for protection from loud noise.  There is also an exception for any person
using hearing aids.

Catch 22:  I wear hearing aids.  I have about a 50% or more loss in each
ear.  The aids bring me up to about 80%.  When I complained that when I
drove my Healey, it was often like someone was blowing into a microphone,
the audiologist said, "Turn them off while driving".  Now that is like
driving around with ear plugs in your ears which would be in violation of
the Code.  If I take the aids out, I am half deaf.  The fact is, my hearing
loss is in the higher frequencies so even with the aids off or out, I can
still "hear" or "sense" other vehicles nearby.  I guess I sense the sound
of their wheels on the pavement more than anything else.

And, yes, when I want to monitor the CB, I use ear buds.  I hope that the
wires will look like eye glass retainers holding my dark glasses on.  (You
didn't hear me say that, Kenny J.)

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA
1967 3000 MKIII HBJ8L39031