Re: Oil Pumps for 29E engine---Questions

To: "Blue One Hundred" <international_investor@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Oil Pumps for 29E engine---Questions
From: "tom felts" <tomfelts@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:47:46 -0400
I have the original oil filter and use a NAPA Gold 1302 insert in it.  Wish
I had waited for your post before changing oil back to 10/40.  Interesting,
but I was talking to the guy at NAPA about which oil to use and he
recommended the 10w/40 over the 20/50, which I was about to buy.

Since 10/40 is what I used to use (b4 synthetic), I agreed and put the
10/40 in.

I just don't recall ever having to wait this long for OP to come up before
I had the engine rebuilt 3 years ago.  Could there be trash in the oil pump
screen?

Thanks
tom

<JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>; Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
> Date: 8/22/04 11:23:07 PM
> Subject: Re: Oil Pumps for 29E engine---Questions
>
> Tom -
>
> Your pressure seems fine, actually (By the way, you
> should run 20w-50 (this is standard for a healey
> motor), not 10w-40 (which is too thin)... that will
> boost your pressure slightly if you make the change).
>

> Your problem may have more to do with your oil filter
> set up.
>
> What sort of oil filter do you have on the car?  If
> you have an original oil filter set up, these can take
> time to fill with oil when you start the car.
>
> If you are running with a spin on adaptor, it is
> likely you are using an oil filter without a back flow
> check valve.  You should always use an oil filter with
> a good quality check valve in it... it keeps the oil
> filter full of oil after you turn the motor off.  If
> you are missing this valve, all the oil will just
> drain out of the oil filter back into the oil pan.
>
> Let us know what sort of oil filter set up you have,
> then we can analyze your problem a little better.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alan
>
> '53 BN1 '64 BJ8

Check out the new British Cars Forum: