Re: Oil Pumps for 29E engine---Questions

To: tomfelts@earthlink.net,
Subject: Re: Oil Pumps for 29E engine---Questions
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:23:06 -0700 (PDT)
Tom -

Your pressure seems fine, actually (By the way, you
should run 20w-50 (this is standard for a healey
motor), not 10w-40 (which is too thin)... that will
boost your pressure slightly if you make the change).

Your problem may have more to do with your oil filter
set up.

What sort of oil filter do you have on the car?  If
you have an original oil filter set up, these can take
time to fill with oil when you start the car.

If you are running with a spin on adaptor, it is
likely you are using an oil filter without a back flow
check valve.  You should always use an oil filter with
a good quality check valve in it... it keeps the oil
filter full of oil after you turn the motor off.  If
you are missing this valve, all the oil will just
drain out of the oil filter back into the oil pan.

Let us know what sort of oil filter set up you have,
then we can analyze your problem a little better.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8

--- tom felts <tomfelts@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I think I'm going to need a new oil pump.  It takes
> a good 3/4 seconds
> after starting the car before the needle moves--all
> this time I can hear a
> distinct clicking that goes away after the oil gets
> up.  Also, I'm running
> at about 38 #'s with engine hot and at 3000 rpm's.
>
> When cold, the OP goes over 60.
>
> Alan, you mentioned the rotary type of oil pump as
> being better for road
> use.  Could you please elaborate?
>
> Also, I have never changes an oil pump.  How
> difficult is it and what
> pitfalls might i run into?
>
> BTW, I have been using synthetic 15/50 for the last
> 3 years.  Just changed
> it back to regular Castrol 10w 40 but the symptoms
> above remained the same.
>
> TIA
> Tom
> BJ8