Re: valve cover oil leak-your solution

To: "Healeys" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: valve cover oil leak-your solution
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 20:28:10 -0400
Hi, Andy -

Dave's method is a way to do it, but I prefer to glue the gasket to the valve
cover (only).  For me, that makes it easier to scrape off when the time comes
to change it, without getting loose bits of cork, adhesive, and crap into the
oil on the head where its hard to clean up.  I use a fuel and oil-resistant
silicone as an adhesive, and make sure that it is thick enough to make a good
seal between the gasket and the valve cover without squeezing out too much
excess.  Make sure the new gasket is positioned on the valve cover evenly and
properly aligned.
After attaching the gasket to the valve cover, I wipe clean the valve cover
seat area on the head with a paper towel, then reinstall the cover and tighten
the nuts just enough to snug them down.  After the silicone cures, I tighten
the nuts a bit at a time until there are no leaks.  Using this method, I have
had no problem with leaks and am able to remove and reinstall the valve cover
many times without damaging the gasket.

Good luck!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666