Re: Concours Gold level? Damn right!

To: "Gus" <mother-ship@earthlink.net>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Concours Gold level? Damn right!
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:33:14 -0400
Gus wrote:
I see nothing has changed at the upper echelons of the Healey Club.

As a matter of fact Gus, and others, the National Concours Registry does not
belong to any club whatsoever. About 14 years ago we founders decided that
would be the wisest thing to do to try to avoid being manipulated or guided
by others (i.e. well meaning club officers, etc).
We are simply a dedicated group of individuals who care enough to try to
document and share years of careful research on how our cars were turned out
originally.
The Concours Judging events are held to evaluate and apply a set of scores
to the cars we are asked to review. We attempt to do this as fairly and
accurately as is humanly possible.
There is no pay or reimbursement involved in any of this; getting to the
meet as requested, gathering judges and spending at least a day out of our
time doing the judging and follow up. We do this because we care and I
personally wouldn't have it any other way.
The rest of the year we 11 or so on the committee spend updating the
guidelines, answering as many individual inquiries as possible, and dodging
bullets like we've seen here today!!<grin>. We have committee members who do
different specific jobs. One is a registrar who maintains the records of all
previous judgings over the last 14 years. One is a distributor of the
Guidelines packages. Some carefully proof read and check all additons and
changes each year before the new editions are issued. The rest of us try to
research and compile data and forward it to the committee for review. The
data compilation is and endless task. We've come a long way in 14 years.
Our only financial matters are limited to printing and selling as many
Concours Guidelines booklets as we can through the year, and having the
Gold, Silver and Bronze badges produced and sold. All money is turned back
in to produce more.
Please let me state that we on the committee are not asking for any special
favours, just a little respect for what we are trying to maintain. Of course
Concours isn't for everyone. It never was and never will be.
It is simply a measure of how authentic a car can be made to be some 40 to
50 years after it was built.
In closing if Mr. Denton would care to contact me off list I will try to
sort out his problem.

Rich Chrysler
National Concours Committee member

Check out the new British Cars Forum: