Re: Overdrive wierdness - I'm not really sure

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive wierdness - I'm not really sure
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 07:00:03 -0800
This should probably be re-subjected to "O/D Technique," I suppose.

Anyway, my O/D tecnhique is a follows:

a) on "upshift" (from straight 3rd or 4th to 3rd-O/D or 4th-O/D) I just
    flip the fascia switch at or near WOT.  The result is very similar to an
automatic
    transmission upshifting

b) for "downshift" (from 3rd-O/D or 4th-O/D to straight 3rd or 4th) I
    push the clutch in a little (inch or two), rev the engine a little and
throw the
    switch.  If done just right, this results in an almost imperceptible
downshift;
    the only effect is an increase in engine speed.

I have 140K+ original miles on my O/D, and I've gotten 80K miles--and
counting--on
my latest clutch so I think this technique is fairly friendly to the machinery.

Alan: yes, that's normal for an O/D.   The throttle switch will keep the O/D
engaged until the throttle is opened something like 3/16" measured at the
stops (probably around 1,500 - 2,000 RPM). BTW, you didn't get your "53BJ8"
off of eBay by any chance?   ;)

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net