RE: Driving lights

To: "'M Lempert'" <mlempert@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: RE: Driving lights
From: "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter@rogers.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:22:11 -0500
Hi Mike,
I believe the insert in the center of the light is part of the focus system.
If you think about it the light from the bulb filament, which is positioned
at the focal point of the "sort of" parabolic lens would cause a
substantially more spread beam rather than the desired "pencil" if it was
not reflected back to the main reflector. The insert is in itself a
reflector, on the side that you cannot see, which sends the light emitting
from the front side of the bulb back to the main reflector.
Someone may have a better theory but that is the best I can think of.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com