RE: 3000 trans

To: <KingR44916@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 3000 trans
From: "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter@rogers.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:40:57 -0500
Although I used to be a stickler for originality I have been a convert to
the 5 speed Toyota conversion. The original gearbox is clunky, has rotten
ratios and a tendency to be somewhat fragile, whereas the Toyota box is
reasonably inexpensive, shifts beautifully, is very reliable and has
perfectly spaced ratios. (That is what 30 years of development will do for
you).
Unless I was building a concours car I would never consider an original box.
With a bit of work I managed to make the Toyota shift lever
indistinguishable from the original and defy anyone to tell that the car
does not have an original transmission without getting under the car.
Here is my 2 cents........   :-)

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com