Re: 3000 trans

To: KingR44916@aol.com
Subject: Re: 3000 trans
From: Peter Dzwig <pdzwig@summaventures.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:45:17 +0000
KingR44916@aol.com wrote:

> i have a ? for the group. if you were doing your trans over would you put  in
> a rebuilt one or go with a smitty conversion.originality not an issue which
> one is actually better for the car

If you don't mind me saying, the question is ill-put. You don't actually say
what you want the gearbox to provide (other than gears! and what the power
output is like from your engine. You don't say what you want from the car
either, so:

(i) if you want to have the original feel, get an original or repro box for
whatever 3000 Mk you have, plenty around.

(ii) if you want a car for fast road/track days/rallying you could look at the
many available with straightcut gears, or you can change the ratios - all of
which is "period", with ratios to suit what you want. Your choice might well be
decided by the power output from the engine.

(iii) if you need competition levels of performance then there are several
competition boxes available from the usual suspects.

(iv) don't go sticking an auto box in it. It may make for lazy driving, but
these beasts ALL came with THREE pedals and weren't made to take autos, even
those exported to the US. The cars were MEANT to engage the driver.

Hope that this helps,

Peter Dzwig