Re: 3000 trans

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 3000 trans
From: John Peak <redbn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:14:32 -0800 (PST)
My car is still running the original trans and overdrive, both in excellent
operating condition.  I love the vintage experience (which is why I own a
Healey in the first place) and wouldn't even consider trading it for the feel
of a modern box (I have a Miata for that already).  That said, if I was faced
with a shot transmission and a trashed overdrive, I would seriously consider
the Smitty conversion.  I own my car to drive it, and if the cost of having the
originals rebuilt was out of my budget I would do the conversion in a heartbeat
just to get the car back on the road.  As another lister mentioned, it all
depends on what you want from the car.

John Peak
'59 BN7

davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net> wrote:
I too had a Japanese 5 speed in my car. --Short throws, good ratios, smooth,
quiet, reliable.....Drove it every day, -really enjoyed it. ------in my Nissan
Maxima.
For real fun, and what I felt was a real vintage car experience, on weekends
I'd switch over to the Healey with it's OE long throw notchy crashbox. I LOVE
that thing! I've always felt that it is tons of fun, has never given me
problems, and is an important part of the vintage car experience. -And a
challenge to drive well--which is part of what makes the car, for me, so
entertaining. For me, it's part of the difference between an entertaining
drive, and "transportation".
I have no beef with Smitty conversions, -just not my preference. -But I do
like the idea of keeping the original trans with the car, if possible.
David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA