Re: 100 BN2 [hypoid axle] halfshaft oil seal

To: Keith Pennell <pennell@cox.net>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 100 BN2 [hypoid axle] halfshaft oil seal
From: mike brooks <hypercubic@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 05:49:00 +0100 (BST)
Keith,

The diff is the same for all the cars from part way through BN1 right through
to the end of 3000 production. So you are right, it takes some talent to
overfill it. Mind you, I've seen the way some shops do it with a large drum and
a pump. I suppose given the viscosity, it would be possible to overfill, and
then not wait until the oil stops dripping out of the filler/level hole before
putting the plug back in, like you are supposed to.

Mike

Keith Pennell <pennell@cox.net> wrote:
Mike,

Not too familiar with the 4 cyl cars but how does one overfill the diff? I
mean how would one put in that much extra oil in the fill hole unless the
rear of the car was considerably higher than the front when filled?

Keith Pennell

> After a great weekend trip to the Texas Roundup, 800 miles altogether, and
needing the annual inspection sticker, I thought I had better give the 100 a
dose of looking at. What I found was mostly good, however, a suspicious
lining of oil round the rear right hand inner wheel well needed further
investigation. So the drum came off and as suspected, the halfshaft oilseal
is leaking to the inside of the drum. Not having the parts nor the tools to
put things right, I took out the differential fill/level plug, expecting to
need to top up the diff oil. Instead, a good pint of oil spewed out [onto
the garage floor - what a mess]. So, presumably PO has overfilled the diff?

> Questions:-
>
> Could it be that the oil seal is actually OK, bearing in mind that it
is not supposed to run below the oil level?
> Or has running the seal immersed in oil damaged it anyway?
> If I have to change the seal, can I get the bearing out of the hub
without a press?
> Anyone have any work-arounds for the special tool that the manual says
has to go with a puller to get the hub off?