Re: Ten Improvements

To: glemon@neb.rr.com, healeys@autox.team.net, Editorgary@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ten Improvements
From: "Reid Trummel" <editor_reid@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 04:12:46 +0000
>From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
>To: "Reid Trummel" <editor_reid@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>,
>    <Editorgary@aol.com>
>Subject: Re: Ten Improvements
>Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:46:51 -0500
>
>Reid, I did mention the gearbox in my original reply, and I think at least
>one other person did as well.

OK, I must have missed it in my quick-scan, or perhaps since I get the List
in digest format, I just haven't received those responses yet.

>But would like to add that my understanding
>of Gary's list is that it is generic to LBC's and not just healey's.

Right you are, and that's fine, but I wouldn't recommend changing to
five-speeds in other British cars any more than in Healeys -- it changes the
characater of the cars, regardless of marque.

>On a
>Sprite where overdrive was not an option  a five speed is a big plus if you
>want to be able to go down the highway without the engine spinning at over
>4,000 RPM.

How well I know this!  I've owned three Bugeyes, the last one of which had
the Rivergate 5-speed conversion.  I do not argue that it improves the
drivability of the car; it's just that it also changes the character of the
car.

>Personally  I had the option of rebuilding my 3 speed, switching to a later
>4 speed (many people suggested this), or, going with a five speed.  I went
>with the rebuild, because it is one of the things that makes the car
>unique.

Good for you!  There must be a few other 3-speeds still out there,
somewhere...

>I don't know if a taller rear end was mentioned, while not necessarily
>stock
>this is a "less intrusive" alternative to a new gearbox (if relaxed
>cruising
>is the goal.  There is much interest in taller geared pumpkins for LBCs
>that
>goes beyond the Big Healey world,

Well, the different diff gears were a period option, not a modern "upgrade."
  I have Mike Lempert's 3.55:1 gear set in my BN2/Le Mans, although the
resto's not finished and I haven't got to drive it yet.  REALLY looking
forward to it -- should be done about the end of November.  Steve Pike is
returning from Australia in early November to finish it up.  It still has
the original gearbox and the orignial engine albeit with the period-correct
Le Mans upgrades.  I even have a set of Dunlop Gold Seal tyres for it...

Reid

Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!