Fw: Paintless dent repair

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Paintless dent repair
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 13:28:02 -0500
Subject: Re: Paintless dent repair

David, please forward this response to the Healey list, for some reason I
cannot seem to post, even though I receive the  postings. Thanks R. Harris

Hey
It isn't magic. Guys that are hiding their "trade secret" is nonsense. It's
just very careful manipulation of the tools behind the ding. Leverage is
used to apply various amounts of pressure on the smoothing tool - these
tools come in various lengths, thicknesses and shapes. That is why it is
sometimes difficult  to remove a ding that has no inside backing upon which
to lever, like a window or metal inner door or fender panel.  Not
imposssible, just a bigger challenge.  Progress is measured against various
reflective lined boards that are strategically situated against the car. The
reflected lines on the board look wavy when placed against the dinged car.
As the ding is levered out, the lines on the board begin to straighten out.
When the ding is gone, the lines reflect back perfectly straight.

My friend and fellow Healey owner, Roger Conte, is an absolute genious at
this art. I watched him methodically remove more than 30 door and fender
dings (don't ask) on virtually every body panel of my '68 E-type. It took 5
hours. It wasn't magic, just hard work and a need for absolute perfection on
his part.  All the other ding removal guys said it was impossible to work on
an XKE and they refused to bid the job. Obviously, some are more skilled
than others.   If you're in the SF Bay Area and want a referral to a true
ding removal guru, contact me off list and I'll forward the contact info.
Randy '66 BJ8, '68 E-type OTS