Handbrake adjustment

To: "'Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Handbrake adjustment
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:41:24 -0000
Okay, okay..emergency brake in some parts.

So, leaving aside the instructions in the manual, how does one actually make
the adjustment?

Lying on my back with the wheel off and the car safely chocked up, I can
slacken off the little nut (nut for cable per parts book) at the cables
end. I then approach the bigger sleeve(?) nut on the cable. It will only
rotate about > of a turn, taking the cable with it. My presumption (a
dangerous thing) is this:

The sleeve is supposed to rotate freely about the cable and that mine is,
typically, jammed solid.

Or, perhaps, it is 40+ years old and has no adjustment left in it, it being
as tight as it will go.

Any confirmations as to the above and suggestions would be well received.

I imagine that replacing the cable is no an easy task??? I seem to recall
the mention of various problems related to removal of handbrake levers etc?

Thanks,

Simon.