Re: Jack Stands

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Jack Stands
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 06:58:43 -0800
Ned,

My BJ8 is in the same condition as yours, and I was doing muffler work.
Sure would've liked a bit
more clearance myself.

BUT ... I don't think putting the jackstands on blocks is a good idea.
Getting under a car on
jack stands under the best of conditions--i.e. on a solid, flat concrete
floor--is barely risk-tolerable, IMO
(yes, I do it, but I'm acutely aware of the risk).  Putting (cinder?)
blocks under the jackstands pushes
the risk too high (especially here in earthquake country).  Plus, I
haven't seen a floor jack that'll lift that
high, anyway.

Occassionally, I hear of people being crushed under their cars, and I
can't help thinking "What a
dumbsh*t," at least for a second.  I'm not particulary risk-averse--else
I wouldn't drive Healeys and
fly airplanes--but I don't want to go that way.

bs