RE: gauges fogging up

To: <Warthodson@aol.com>, <Alan@nfahc.co.uk>, <sbyers@ec.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: gauges fogging up
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:28:59 +1100
 G'day

This is really worrying me as I honestly believe that most are
forgetting or not realising the underlying cause of gauges fogging up.

Smiths' gauges are renowned for their quality and in most cases provide
for years of exemplary service providing they are care for.

However every gauge is under constant attack by the smoke so beloved by
Joseph Lucas. You see, the wires and cables that are connected to the
gauges were originally supplied by Lucas and not Smiths. Every time we
use our cars there is minute amounts of smoke coming from the electrical
connections to the gauges.

This smoke reacts with components of the gauges and water content in the
atmosphere and in turn forms a deposit on the inside of the glass not
unlike the way that plastic in modern cars gives off a gas and forms a
film on the inside of windscreens and the like.

The answer is simply to drive your cars as close to sea level as
possible where the atmospheric pressure is greatest and there is less
water vapour in the air.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

1947 Healey Duncan - fitted with Jaeger gauges that have never fog up.
1954 Austin-Healey 100 BN3/1 - fitted with Smiths gauges that fog up all
the time unless I drive to the beach.