Re: Hard to start when cold

To: davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hard to start when cold
From: Richard Hosmer <rahosmer@citlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:20:50 -0700
David,

Sounds a lot like my tricarb - but yours is certainly in MUCH better tune,
set to specs, etc. My engine has not been restored, or rebuilt in ANY way.
Still 99% "as made". After sitting for about 15 years, the engine, after
slow-turning and hand oiling, without plugs, caught (using 15-yr. old gas,
the balance of which I immediately drained) in about two minutes of short
cranking bursts, with just a couple of spritzes of ether.

Now that it is only occasionally driven - to cold start, I let the pump
finish ticking, pull and HOLD the choke ALL the way out, push in the clutch.
and it will usually come to life on the third or fourth 5-10 second spin.
Once idle is achieved, I let go of the choke, and within 5 minutes, max, it
will accelerate strongly with no coughing, and the choke gets pushed all the
way in. A warm /hot start requires NO choke, and just the lightest TOUCH of
the starter button. It fires IMMEDIATELY.

I run the highest octane I can get, usually 92-93, like you. It is driven so
little that the cost is not a factor. I'm not really sure where timing is
at, but it does not ping. I generally observe a 3000 rpm redline through the
gears, usually quite a bit less. My driving is nearly all on the flat, very
close to sea level.

Dick Hosmer