Hard to start when cold

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hard to start when cold
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:07:17 -0400
Hi folks.
Weather has been great (off and on) here in RI the last week or so, and for
the first time since it's resto, I've been getting my MkII tricarb out and
running around on a regular basis. --And it is running GREAT ! (Thanks to
those that helped with the rough running problem last summer)

The only think I'd like to see improvement in, would be cold starting. --It
requires repeated 7-8 attempts, full clutch to fire it up before it finally
coughs a few times, and then barely catches, stumbling for a moment or two and
then revving. -Five to 7 minutes running, and then it runs great!

The timing is set to factory advance, which is probably too advanced for
today's 92-93 octane gas, --and it does produce some ping under load. -I'm
planning to retard the timing for the ping, --and I was wondering if this will
help with the cold starting.

All else is new and has been checked and rechecked at original factory gaps
and settings. --The car fires up -immediately, when it is warm, --even hours
after the last time it was run. --But let it fully cool to the ambient 55-65
degrees we are getting these days, and the hard staring reoccurs.  --Or is
this fairly standard behavior for a tricarb with all standard hardware? -It
had dual HDs before the restore, and I do not recall it being this hard to
start.

Aside from the timing, any ideas?   --Original type starter, new points,
condenser, coil, plugs, plug wires. chokes are all working and going full
travel.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA