Re: Gasket Sealers

To: Ned Smith <smithn00@kitepilot.net>,
Subject: Re: Gasket Sealers
From: John Kuzman <jjkbj7@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:24:52 -0700 (PDT)
Ned,
  FWIW, here is a list of sealants I received from a retired engine builder:

  Always use the manufacturers suggested installation instructions, as some
applications or gasket types REQUIRE different lubes or sealants but here is a
rough guide:

head bolts #5, dip clean dry thread in
http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...et_Sealant.htm
then insert and tq heads in place
BTW this will work also
http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...et_Sealant.htm

head gaskets #3
main bolts #2
rod bolts #2
oil pump stud and nut #4
oil pan bolts #5
oil pan gasket #6
cam sprocket bolts #4
timing cover gasket #6
timing cover bolts #1
intake bolts #1
intake gasket #6
thermostat housing bolts #5
thermostat housing gasket (also do you really need it) usually yes #6
Exhaust manifold/header bolts #1
Exhaust manifold/header gaskets #3
Water pump bolts #5
water pump gaskets #6
fuel pump #6
crank/damper bolt #1
Torque converter bolts #4
flywheel/flexplate bolts #4
bellhousing bolts #2

1 antiseize
2 oil or ARP thread lube
3 copper coat spray gasket sealer or apply dry in some cases (see manufactures
suggestions)
4 loctite (red or blue depends on application ,read the labels)
5 http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...et_Sealant.htm
6 black high temp RTV

use the correct stuff for the application, AND READ & FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS it
prevents PROBLEMS

Ned Smith <smithn00@kitepilot.net> wrote:
  All the parts are in and I will start to reassemble the engine and
transmission tomorrow.

What is the feeling on the use of sealers? What type and where?

In dismantling the engine I noticed that the only places sealers had been
used were places previously repaired.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Ned Smith

BJ8

near Chattanooga, TN

N34.98 W85.5

Yahoo! Groups gets better. Check out the new email design. Plus theres much
more to come.