Re: update and more questions

To: "Healeys Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: update and more questions
From: "Len and/or Marge" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 14:23:57 -0700
Dean:  I didn't get into the details of looking for the leak since it
wasn't important to my response to Jim.

My first indication of a problem was that my fuel gauge was reading 'empty'
with a full tank of gas.  Logical problem?  Sinking float!  Removed the
sending unit and shook it.  No sound of liquid.  Did not seem heavy.  I
usually apply heat from a heat gun which creates pressure in the float and
reveals the leak.  This time I followed suggestion to imerse the float in
hot water.  Pressure created by the heat would result in bubbles.  No
bubbles.  I suspended the float in the water and it floated.  Pushed it
under water and it popped up easily.  It appeared that a sinking float was
not my problem.  However, when I proceeded to install the sending unit back
into the tank, I noticed that the float SANK in the gasoline.  It floated
in the water but sank in the gasoline.  That's when I drilled the hole and
the gasoline drained out.

Now you know The Rest of the Story (used without permission)

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA
1967 3000 MKIII HBJ8L39031