RE: side curtain rebuild

To: <Warthodson@aol.com>, <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: side curtain rebuild
From: "Ronald J. Ray" <ronald-ray@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 16:32:55 -0600
Gary,

On the two sets of original side curtains I have, the felt lined all three
sides of both channels, not just the bottom.  It is very difficult to
install new felt and to get the Plexiglas into the channel once the felt is
in place.  I used a clothes iron to flatten the felt out in hopes of making
it thinner and thus allowing more space for the Plexiglas to be installed.
I don't think any glue was used in the installation of the felt
weatherstripping as it was relatively easy to remove from my original side
curtains.  I know of individuals that cut the felts into a narrow width and
just install them at the bottom of the channels.  In this situation, glue
may be required.

I used the Moss' bumpers for the rear bracket.  If they are glued in with a
little bit of silicone, they work fine.

I did find my source for the rubber bumper at the upper front corner of the
sidecurtain frame.  The bumper is identical to the 3 bumpers used where the
boot lid rest on the rear shroud (Moss  682-110.)  You will need a chrome
Phillips head screw with some silicone to secure the bumpers in place.
Don't be surprised if these bumpers do not line up with the windshield post
stud that is used to secure the soft top.  With your windshield, Gary, these
bumpers would not be necessary and may actually be a disadvantage.

Ron Ray