Re: Gas Stations

To: "'Mike Carpenter'" <m.j.carpenter@cox.net>, "Austin Healey List"
Subject: Re: Gas Stations
From: "Mark" <mark@nashvilletn.org>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:35:42 -0500
Thanks for the pictures Mike,

I worked in a white  brick Standard Oil station when I was in High School
that looked just like the one in the picture.  Actually thought I was doing
well.  $1.25 an hour and worked all summer from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
pumping gas, washing windshields with a tire repair and oil change thrown in
from time to time.  I only did that six days a week so I could lifeguard at
our country club pool on Saturdays for a buck an hour.  The slight reduction
in pay was worth the sacrifice in pay for the view.  I still recall the
local "gas war" (not to be confused with the current "oil war") where we
slashed prices from the normal 32 cents to 17 cents per gallon.  It was that
darn guy at the 66 station that wouldn't be undersold!  Of course we would
all meet for breakfast at the local "MEN ONLY" restaurant and discuss the
plan for the day.  Cursing and farting were acceptable there and you could
get a brain sandwich with gravy for breakfast if you wanted one.....  Come
to think of it .32 per gallon is not all that far from the 3.20 per gallon
of today if adjusted.

Mark
Nashville
http://www.arrestmered.com