RE: Gas Stations

To: 'James Lea' <clocks@midcoast.com>, 'Mike Carpenter'
Subject: RE: Gas Stations
From: John Sims <ahbn6@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:56:29 -0400
OK. How many of us remember two things:

The barrel of oil with a crank on top of it that when rotated one rotation,
measured out one quart of oil into a glass bottle with a metal funnel on
top.

Gas station attendants in uniforms checking oil level, coolant level, tire
pressure, washing windshields - the proper way not using a dirty squeegie
with filthy water like they do today if you are lucky (or unlucky) enough to
find one.

I used to pump gas at the local gas station in return for the owner lifting
my car and changing the oil -- for the cost only of the oil.

Pulling into a gas station on a Saturday night with a car load of friends
and taking up a collection to by forty seven cents worth of ethyl (remember
that) and that forty seven cents would get you through the night as it meant
about three gallons because gas was between 12-18 cents in California during
the last 50's.

OK, that was four but what the heck!

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ