Re: [Healeys] Top Trunnion Needle Bearings

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Top Trunnion Needle Bearings
From: "Ph.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:42:25 +0200
Well, Bob, I can assure you that the thrust bearings are Oilite, and I
can also inform you that grease should NEVER be used on Oilite bearings.
The trick of Oilite bearings is that they are porous, and that the pores
are filled with oil before assembly. If you want to re-oil an Oilite
bearing just put it in a small can filled with engine oil, heat the can
(and the oil) till no air bubbles escape any more from the bearing and
then let the can and the oil with the bearing still under oil cool down
to room temp. That's the only proper way to re-lubricate an Oilite
bearing. Grease will smear the bearing surface and prevent the oil to be
transported to the shaft under capillary action.
(I used to be the Oilite sales agent in The Netherlands).
Furthermore in my view you are comparing 'normal' needle bearings (like
on the valve rockers) to needle thrust bearings - and they are
completely different animals.
Kind regards,
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands