Re: [Healeys] Mark This Day -- Gasoline

To: pennell@cox.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Mark This Day -- Gasoline
From: Douglas W Flagg <dwflagg@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 14:43:40 -0400
Keith,

This is just like the gas "shortage" in the 70's. As people turned to
smaller cars the manufacturers accommodated their demand. When gas prices
went down, people changed and the big cars came back. It is a simple
fact. When the demand for SUV's (which is starting to happen), Hummer's,
and Lincoln Continentals falters, then manufacturers will change their
production to accommodate the new demand. Big cars and trucks sitting on
a showroom floor going nowhere does not make a profit, and that is what
this is all about. This is all about people Keith. You can have the best
intentions, but unless you have a majority of the spending public behind
you it is a lost cause. I agree with Jody. It is just like trying to
blame the oil company for high gasoline profits when oil is a commodity
on the open market. The government makes a much larger "profit" than oil
companies and what do they do with our money. If Maxine Waters had her
way the government would nationalize oil companies. Think we have a
problem now!!! Until we, collectively, reduce our "frivolous" driving
habits nothing will change. Let's not blame the auto manufacturers for
our purchase of high HP vehicles or our bad driving habits. Its is a bit
like blaming the gun manufacturers because some low life kills with a
gun. Someone is always looking to blame someone or something else rather
than looking in the mirror and accepting responsibility. The power is
with the people Keith, so let's make it happen.

Doug