Re: [Healeys] Mark This Day -- Gasoline

To: "'Michael Salter'" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Mark This Day -- Gasoline
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 14:20:53 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: healeys-bounces+rdavies1=cox.net@autox.team.net
[mailto:healeys-bounces+rdavies1=cox.net@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of
Michael Salter
Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2008 1:37 PM
If we could make cars last longer just how
much energy would we save.

Michael Salter
_______________________________________
Good point. But I seem to read all the time about cars going 200,000 miles,
even American ones. I think we can build them to last longer but the
consumer doesn't want to pay for it. They also don't want to drive the same
car that long. Heck, half the population can't even stay married.

I think in general if the consumer wanted a car that would last that long
and was willing to pay more for the quality that it usually takes to keep it
running efficiently that long, the manufacturers would probably build them.

Seems like the problem is that the cost of maintaining older cars starts to
get prohibitive at around 10 years and 120,000 miles (air, electronics,
paint and suspension) so it seems cheaper to buy again. But I guess that's
your point.

Of course if every car lasted 20+ years that would be bad for the auto
workers. Finally, ever since Ford decided to paint his cars another color
beside black, the consumers wanted change and variety every year.
I suppose that when gas hits $15 a gallon, black will be just fine again.
Ron Davies
SoCal
BJ8
DB7