Re: [Healeys] O/D Installation

To: Kenny J <theswed@hotmail.com>, Healeys Healeys
Subject: Re: [Healeys] O/D Installation
From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 00:52:50 +0000
I think others have explained all of the things that need to be done to
install the OD, but let me see if I can put it together.

Use a long screw driver to align the internal splines in the overdrive and at
the same time make sure the brass thrust washers don't stick out into  the
shaft space (Unless you have a loose output shaft or a dummy shaft you have to
do these things by sight).

Make sure the pump cam on the output shaft is turned toward the top of the
trannie away from the pump follower and perhaps wire the pump follower down so
it can't interfere.

Place the overdrive onto the output shaft gently to make sure none of these
things change. You may need to turn the output flange slightly to align the
internal splines with the output shaft splines.

You know you have succeeded when a gentle push on the end of the overdrive
causes the unit to compress the clutch springs and spring back.

Start the nuts on the long set pins and pull them down gradually and evenly.
If you encounter any resistance stop and check that the thrust washers haven't
shifted. Better to lose a little time than break the washers. Some of them are
getting hard to find. When the long pins bottom install the other fasteners.

If you have wired down the pump follower be sure to cut the wire and pull it
out before you pull the unit down to the adapter plate.

Good luck.

Bill Lawrence
> From: theswed@hotmail.com
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:01:48 -0700
> Subject: [Healeys] O/D Installation
>
> Hey List,
>
> I am attempting to reinstall my O/D onto the gearbox.  It slides on pretty
> easily until I get within the stud length (the last 1/2 - 3/4 inches) the
O/D