Re: [Healeys] Silicone DOT5 brakefluid for the 100

To: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Silicone DOT5 brakefluid for the 100
From: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:47:26 -0600
Could someone tell me the chemical products that are made by mixing the two
that supposedly reacts with the rubber seals?  To me it either reacts or it
doesn't, and it did not with mine.  Now--if it takes 10 years, I still have a
couple to go. Maybe I haven't waited long enough.

tom

---- Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl> wrote:

Tom,
You should never fill up with DOT5 if you previously used DOT3 or 4. You
run the very serious risk that the seals will perish and the system will
leak like a sieve. Thus you have to replace all the seals and hoses (and
clean out the rest of the system of course). This goes for any car.
You may have been extremely lucky.
Kees Oudesluijs