[Healeys] HD8 Damper Cap Loosens

Subject: [Healeys] HD8 Damper Cap Loosens
From: sbyers at ec.rr.com (BJ8 Healeys)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:18:15 -0500
Ray, I sometimes find the front damper cap open.  I know that when my engine
spits back through the carbs, as when cold, it will sometimes blow the front
cap out.  I have seen some caps where the rod has been blown through the
plastic cap.  I would prefer that my whole cap blows out rather than the
rod.  The threads on the plastic cap do not appear to be damaged and will
screw back in tightly.  I have tried wrapping some Teflon tape around the
threads, but that hasn't stopped the cap from coming out.  I use 30W engine
oil in my dampers.

I think you are seeing the same thing, and your cap is not "unscrewing"
itself.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry