Re: [Healeys] FW: PCV needs fresh air too

To: Price Lindsay <050.rpl@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: PCV needs fresh air too
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 10:35:07 -0800
Basics:

- an engine crankcase will always be somewhat pressurized due to blow-by (all
engines have some blow-by)
- earlier engines--like our BN2 and my dad's '46 Chevy two-ton--have a tube
from the crankcase open towards the ground
to vent the pressure (aka a 'road draft' system)
- a PCV system uses manifold vacuum--not pressure--to basically suck pressure
and fumes from the crankcase into the
intake manifold so that it can be (re-)burned in the engine
- since a PCV valve is basically a vacuum leak, the valve has to mostly seal at
idle so as not to produce a lean-running
condition (plus, it has to seal in the event of a manifold backfire so as not
to ignite the fumes in the crankcase)

A true PCV system will have a source for clean fresh air so the gases can
circulate, usually a tube from inside the air
cleaner and sometimes from a separate air cleaner.  The debate here centers on
whether or not a fresh air source is
required.  It's definitely a good idea, but there's enough sources of air--like
leaks at the rear scroll seal or valve
covers--to provide an air source (albeit unfiltered).

I'm sure you've tried to seal your leaks, with the usual lack of success.  A
PCV valve will more than likely help
(although you'll want to determine if you have excessive pressure and what's
causing it).  I once tried an aftermarket
air cleaner that didn't have a decent adapter to vent the rocker and crankcase;
I ruined a valve cover trying to seal up
the leaks.

Bob

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net