Re: [Healeys] FW: PCV needs fresh air too

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: PCV needs fresh air too
From: Andrew Thorp <bce257@yahoo.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:59:41 -0800 (PST)
That would be true in the standard configuration sure but the point is to add
a connection to the manifold via a PCV valve at a different location on the
engine/crankcase to the air inlet. The way I have done it, air is drawn into
the rocker cover from the air cleaner and sucked out to the manifold from the
side plate under all conditions except full power. At full throttle the lack
of manifold suction means the blowby gases are temporarily pushed into the air
cleaner to avoid pressurising the sump.

As mentioned in another thread, the BN1-2s used a road draft tube as did the
six cylinder sedans which is a reasonably effective PCV system as fumes (along
with vast amounts of oil) are sucked out of the draft tube by venturi action
of the air rushing by at speed. The downside is it makes the car very stinky
when in traffic and I'd guess that is the reason the six cylinder Healeys got
the additional pipe connecting the side plate (where the road draft tube goes
on the sedans) to the rocker cover.

Andy.