Re: [Healeys] FW: PCV needs fresh air too

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: PCV needs fresh air too
From: "RACarbone" <racarbon@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 09:41:32 -0500
Although I have often thought of installing a PCV system with a catch can, I
have been held back by my lack of understanding on how to choose a proper PCV
with characteristics matched to the profile of my Healeybs engine.  This
seems to be considered a small issue by many who have chosen their PCV based
on whether the PCV will fit the hose they wish to install it into or if the
PCVbs threads will match that in the manifold.  For many, I have found them
referencing selections of past implementers as if there selections were made
with some sort of lost scientific criteria.

The problem is that each manufacturer has defined the requirements for a
specific PCV per engine to meet Federal Air Standards and both selection
criteria and PCV specifications are not published.  So, how should we select a
proper PCV for our engines?

There are/were those that concluded that without much information it would be
best to select a PCV that was chosen for a similarly sized straight 6
carbureted engine.  This proved to be the best approach I could find and
valves from a straight 6 American Motors or a straight 6 Ford were the
recommended selection.  Today, these cars and valves are a scarce commodity
and can be even harder to find than the original car.

So, since we are not interested in using this installation to meet federal air
requirements and can no longer find contemporary versions of similarly sized
and carbureted straight 6s from which to secure their PCV selection, what PCV
should we select?   So, I would appreciate knowing the PCV chosen and, if any,
the selection criteria used?

All the best,

Ray (64BJ8P1)