Re: [Healeys] Aluminum Radiator

To: Steven Kingsbury <airtightproductions@icloud.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Aluminum Radiator
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 15:15:15 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Thread-index: 7rYtKX/ynrX6rKyaSSWMVN/3Wvy/5w== s=q20140121; t=1413299716; bh=lGkxuGluj5z5/STQPXWSiSZPOsHwjXYBQtRiS8vukkw=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=CICIkZS7S2YNAJ6E9bYR8LKqkgKWSlC4ZtI/HgBqOAKw/IYTqfAWrvlV9xOVBb9Jj EofcJsKTakCXJakk7P/hQ12wmOeJNsZTpell5Rt9pVa5x0urr0SfFetZ/zAjclKRFV TOjJPB6Z/BarRfjRvz+l4qZT/n3zzL6C7rGTWTv8e21RDH6bhOndH1TWYtJTPLBi1k OfpuQyjv3dz9qSro0G5WeD1tT9+x5vC2Meedu9wyDBREoS/sRuPhv6SUqiOsaRlxb5 VuQIM3qJzpoP63v+l+QPz4aNApJD8keybkFcwdTRDMVUlC4Dy2ouBaS9g9ZrvjGViW N/HvSLIOhBwMQ==
Cool :) FWIW, that's pretty much how my BJ8 behaves with a stock radiator and
Texas Cooler fan. Are you running a stock BN1 fan?

On a side note, does anyone know why our cars routinely run under the
thermostat set point? For example, I have a 180degF thermostat in my BJ8, and
on not-hot days on the freeway it may run around 160degF. Under warmer
conditions with more of a load it'll hold 180 until stuck in traffic, etc. then
goes up 10-20 degrees. The thermostat should stay closed until reaching the set
point--e.g. 180--then open and maintain that temperature until the the radiator
can no longer, well, radiate all the heat produced by the engine. Is it
possible our engines are being air-cooled enough to stay under the thermostat
set point under benign temp and load conditions?

Bob