Re: [Healeys] Aluminum Radiator

To: "'healeys'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Aluminum Radiator
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 15:18:28 -0400
I have a radiator with a modern core in my BJ8.  It is really the only thing
I've ever found that would keep the temperature down in the cooling system.
I also have a NOS AC sleeved thermostat (thanks, Kees!) rated at 187 deg. F.
After the installation of the radiator, my car routinely has run between 170
and 180 on the road unless it's a really hot day or in a traffic backup and
it might then go 190 - 200 for a short period but drops down quickly with
more airflow through the radiator.
With the sleeved thermostat, I can also see the thing function.  For about
the first 50 miles, the temp needle will move toward 190 and as soon as it
gets there it will drop back to about 160.  It continues cycling until a
stable temperature is reached, typically 170 - 180.  I guess the modern core
can cool sufficiently to keep the thermostat mostly closed under coolish
ambient conditions.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry