Re: [Healeys] Missing under Load

To: "R. Price Lindsay" <050.rpl@gmail.com>, "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Missing under Load
From: "Earl Kagna" <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 14:48:46 -0700
Price - been thinking about this and watching all the other posts.

Just now remembered a similar problem on a friend's BJ8 years ago.  He had
the distributor re-bushed and somehow wound up with less clearance for the
rotor to cap electrode - the Pertronix trigger wheel that fits under the
rotor and raises it slightly added to the problem.  The rotors would fry
pretty quickly.  The solution for us was to grind down the bakelite centre
post in the distributor cap to restore the clearance, since we could'nt get
anything but crappy replacement caps at the time.  Once we did that, the
problem was solved - the car ran just fine.  Still is!

Only problem would be if you or anyone else ever fits a new cap and it
starts all over again.

Also note that some rotors have been known to sit higher up on the
distributor shaft - that's worth considering as well.

Your 'hot rotor' comment tweaked the memory.  I betcha that for whatever
reason, that's your problem - at least worth checking out.  If you've got a
new cap on the way, why not try messing with your old cap and see if that
helps.  The other option would be to try points - the removal of the
Pertronix's trigger wheel would maybe restore enough clearance to allow the
car to run.  Just don't automatically conclude that the electronic ignition
itself is at fault.

Further to David's and Bob's posts:  I have run a Pertronix in my tri-carb
for close to 20 years with copper core plug wires and an original Lucas
sports coil - approx. 40K miles - with no problems at all.  I have run the
same type of wires and coil in my BJ8 for at least 100K miles on a Repco
(which became Allison, which became Crane) electronic ignition with no
problems at all.  I installed a 123 ignition (built into a Lucas distributor
for esthetic reasons) upon completion of a recent restoration - new copper
core wires, same old sports coil, and a new Lucas cap - no problem so far -
only about 4K miles to date.

Haven't been passed by any McLarens or Ferraris yet - guess they couldn't
catch me with all the hot shot ignition stuff!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb