Re: [Healeys] Driving 100

To: Derek Job <derek.c.job@gmail.com>, Greg Lemon <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Driving 100
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 06:27:46 -0700
Cc: Forum <Healeys@autox.team.net>
References: <557DF6BD.4090705@comcast.net> <20150615024201.YG7NY.284523.root@cdptpa-web04> <CAAh8etk_K0onP=VSaWA582ev+RJMm19HexjfBXERqfgZs6659A@mail.gmail.com> s=q20140121; t=1434374866; bh=HAaH1GN16R5yYcftkSHPzJ02BEINtcXnBre9+KB7EhQ=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=Rqm0Wr8xBDBmaU03pPVx40RgI3eeyMblqrxz2SysCZutpQzc8DsPIrCXNV4okkOXZ bEPcBg+Au1p9v9pScmev3axrhhXqCZd53wsy241neiGriX+0ua9qg6sdHMY1bhz4qt gHVJ48E//bMsyqSRcMfTOLygDcU82eWD1jxskgmj3g2nYEt3O4uyEGr1DvApa/VsTi lC9KBDdLRTphBfp19ELLnbE0bOyXFuX8OKJxgRGPyPxzKO1IaYeG5P7R+4oSziMHZX yix0CykaqSf5K02qWINfGkl50yhWG7iaUMlSkhisHtXKsvlheLL8qPWjslrNDj4vcw QcW57eIwpUAkg==
--===============1951841017267279209==
 boundary="------------050008090803060504010109"

--------------050008090803060504010109

We replaced the shock mounts with adjustable ones and set caster to
1.24deg and camber to 1deg pos. per the shop manual.  We THINK we have
proper toe-in--about an eighth of an inch--but haven't had a shop check it.

Bob

On 6/15/2015 12:11 AM, Derek Job wrote:
> Bob
>
> What do you mean by 'nominal' castor, camber and toe in? Toe in should
> be 1/8th of an inch. The other two are fixed at manufacture and i
> can't remember exactly what they are but I think they are mentioned in
> the shop manual. If they are not correct, toe in and castor will have
> a big effect on how the car feels.
>
> Derek
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 3:42 AM, <glemon@neb.rr.com
>
>     Bob, I think something is out of spec.  My 100, on 165/80
>     modern"ish" radials was very stable, would not describe the
>     handling as squirrelly at all, a very relaxed and smooth riding
>     car compared to most of the other mgs and Triumphs and such I have
>     owned.
>
>     The one time I do remember it being squirrel was when the toe in
>     was off after I set it by eyeball to drive it home after I had
>     done, coincidentally, a steering box referb and tie and cross rod
>     replacement in my mother's nearby garage and wanted to get it home
>     for more precise adjustment.  The curves of the front fenders make
>     the eyeball method even more inaccurate than you would figure it
>     to be, but anyway it was squirrelly with the toe in off.
>
>     Greg Lemon
>

>     ---- Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net
>     > Listers,
>     >
>     > Finally had a chance to put some miles on our BN2/100M resto.  Car
>     > tracks straight and turns well but feels somewhat 'squirrelly' or
>     > 'twitchy' to me.  I'm used to driving a BJ8 with oversize (6")
>     wheels
>     > and 185/70 tires which feels like a land barge compared to the
>     100.  I
>     > would expect a 100 to be a lot more nimble than a BJ8, but you
>     have to
>     > really stay on top of the car to stay out of the weeds.  We set
>     up the
>     > suspension ourselves, with nominal caster, camber and toe, but
>     our tools
>     > were somewhat crude and we may have screwed something up
>     (particularly
>     > the caster).
>     >
>     > Anyone driven both cars a lot, can tell me if something might be
>     wrong,
>     > or do I just have to stay on top of this car at all times (I know,
>     > you're supposed to stay on top of ALL cars, but this one feels
>     like it
>     > has no margin for sloppiness or inattentiveness at all)?
>     >
>     > TIA,
>     > Bob

--------------050008090803060504010109

  <head>
  </head>
    We replaced the shock mounts with adjustable ones and set caster to
    1.24deg and camber to 1deg pos. per the shop manual.  We THINK we
    have proper toe-in--about an eighth of an inch--but haven't had a
    shop check it.<br>
    Bob<br>
cite="mid:CAAh8etk_K0onP=VSaWA582ev+RJMm19HexjfBXERqfgZs6659A@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
          toe in? Toe in should be 1/8th of an inch. The other two are
          fixed at manufacture and i can't remember exactly what they
          are but I think they are mentioned in the shop manual. If they
          are not correct, toe in and castor will have a big effect on
          how the car feels.</div>
            dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:glemon@neb.rr.com";
target="_blank">glemon@neb.rr.com</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Bob, I
            think something is out of spec.  My 100, on 165/80
            modern"ish" radials was very stable, would not describe the
            handling as squirrelly at all, a very relaxed and smooth
            riding car compared to most of the other mgs and Triumphs
            and such I have owned.<br>
            The one time I do remember it being squirrel was when the
            toe in was off after I set it by eyeball to drive it home
            after I had done, coincidentally, a steering box referb and
            tie and cross rod replacement in my mother's nearby garage
            and wanted to get it home for more precise adjustment.  The
            curves of the front fenders make the eyeball method even
            more inaccurate than you would figure it to be, but anyway
            it was squirrelly with the toe in off.<br>
            Greg Lemon<br>
                ---- Bob Spidell &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";>bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
                wrote:<br>
                &gt; Listers,<br>
                &gt;<br>
                &gt; Finally had a chance to put some miles on our
                BN2/100M resto.  Car<br>
                &gt; tracks straight and turns well but feels somewhat
                'squirrelly' or<br>
                &gt; 'twitchy' to me.  I'm used to driving a BJ8 with
                oversize (6") wheels<br>
                &gt; and 185/70 tires which feels like a land barge
                compared to the 100.  I<br>
                &gt; would expect a 100 to be a lot more nimble than a
                BJ8, but you have to<br>
                &gt; really stay on top of the car to stay out of the
                weeds.  We set up the<br>
                &gt; suspension ourselves, with nominal caster, camber
                and toe, but our tools<br>
                &gt; were somewhat crude and we may have screwed
                something up (particularly<br>
                &gt; the caster).<br>
                &gt;<br>
                &gt; Anyone driven both cars a lot, can tell me if
                something might be wrong,<br>
                &gt; or do I just have to stay on top of this car at all
                times (I know,<br>
                &gt; you're supposed to stay on top of ALL cars, but
                this one feels like it<br>
                &gt; has no margin for sloppiness or inattentiveness at
                all)?<br>
                &gt;<br>
                &gt; TIA,<br>
                &gt; Bob<br>