RE: F experiences (was: RE: TD replica kit)

To: "Katy Cykler" <cyklerk@belnet.bellevue.k12.wa.us>, mgccnwc-list@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: F experiences (was: RE: TD replica kit)
From: "Lou Nevins" <lou_nevins@macgate.csuchico.edu>
Date: 25 Jan 1996 13:57:06 U
Yes you need the lead substitute addative if the car has the original valves.
Newer valves are different with a hardened edge.
To: mgccnwc-list@eskimo.com
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
From: Katy Cykler on Wed, Jan 24, 1996 3:05 PM

Major question that I did not see an anwer to earlier in the year.  Whatb
about fuel for my 64 MG  Is the highest octane unleaded okay to use ?
When I was in an automotive store they had this additive for cars that
require leaded fuel.  Is this a gimic or is it legitimate?
.
'EEEEE

On 17 Jan 1996, Nigel Cliffe wrote:

> >CMaster808@aol.com wrote:
> >> Ok spill the beans!!!!  Have to know what you think of the F!!!!
> >
> >Its pretty good so far. Three or four minor faults, all sorted by the
dealer
> >without any questions. I've only had it a fortnight, Alan Tong, who pops up
> >on the list occaisionally has had his three months, perhaps he could
> >elaborate.
> >
> >> Just how much fun is it???  How Quick???
> >
> >Very easy to drive, goes round corners as if they're not there. Car
Magazine
> >described the car's attitude to corners as "arrogant disdain", which about
> >sums it up.
> >
> >Can't really tell how quick the car will be. I've done 400 miles so far,
and
> >I'm breaking it in really gently. The demonstrator I drove back in October
> >was fast enough for me (manufacturer's claim 0-60 in 8.5sec). There's
always
> >the faster VVC model for those who want it. You can hold conversations in a
> >normal voice, top down at ~100 mph.
> >
> >I found it less noisy and more comfortable than a Mazda Miata. This swung
the
> >argument for me - the Mazda would be a great second car, but the MG is
usable
> >as a sole car. I'll be selling my other car in the spring.
> >Some magazine reviewers prefer the Mazda's handling as being more "direct".
> >suspect this was due to the MG tested being fitted with power steering. You
> >don't need power steering for town driving or parking, and I'd recommend
> >doing without.
> >
> >Seats are very comfortable. The steering wheel is a little low, and I'd
have
> >liked a height adjustable steering column (that seems to have vanished from
> >UK cars since airbags arrived as standard fitments). Gear change is
> >acceptable, more precise than many a FWD family car, but nothing like the
> >Mazda.
> >
> >>         And how about those modern conveniances.
> >
> >You mean electric windows, no leaks from the hood which goes up in 10
seconds
> >(looks so similar to the Mazda Miata's hood design that I'm suspicious that
> >the same person designed the hood frames for both, though the MG has one-up
> >on the Mazda as the plastic window is replaceable :-) ). Modern heater, RDS
> >radio.
> >
> >I assume the Airbag and the ABS bit of the brakes works, I hope not to need
> >them :-).
> >Boot (trunk) space is good at 7.4 cu ft, the spare is up front, so doesn't
> >eat into luggage space (similar shape to a 'curvy' Toyota MR2).
> >The factory fitted alarm/engine imobiliser looks effective. The alarm
> >includes microwave within the car, so its armed with the top down. Its very
> >simple to set and un-lock.
> >
> >I didn't order many extras, so can't comment on CD player, air
conditioning,
> >luggage rack, hard top, leather seats, etc.
> >
> >>                     We most likely won't be able to find out first
> >> hand for bout 5 years!!!!!!   What a world!!!!
> >
> >Probably worth the wait. The test is whether the BMW Z3 or the MG is the
> >better car at the price. UK magazine verdict was in favour of the MG, but
> >only just and mainly because its ~20% cheaper in the UK. I also expect that
> >ownership costs (insurance and servicing) for the MG will be lower in the
UK.