Re: MGF? No, merci

To: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Subject: Re: MGF? No, merci
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:34:57 -0500
Now, now Graham.  That sounded a bit pouty.

Over here in North America we are up to our ears in bland-looking wheeled
eggs.  When a bog-stock Chevy Lumina sedan could blow the doors off any MG
built prior to 1980 - on a winding road - we're kind of blase when it comes
to another badge-engineered eurocar with sporting aspirations.  We've
suffered with a steady diet of Japanese "sportscars" with tin roofs and
front-wheel drives. We've had it with fragile, expensive German wundercars
which can't survive a few years of real weather and we gave up on spindly
French quirks years ago.  We could also use a few less
environmentally-delightful Swedish safety cars.

We're technoed out and could use something different and imaginative.  We'd
like something that *looks* like a sportscar, not like an egg with a roof
job.  Yeah, it's fast.  So is the Lumina.  Yeah it corners.  So does the
Lumina.  Yeah, it's stylish.  So is the Lumina.  It looks boring as hell.
So does the Lumina.

If we're going to have a new MG let it be something special.  Let it show
it's roots.  No body ever designed better-looking cars than the designers
of the great sporting LBCs of the '30s, '40s and '50s.  Where is that
designing spirit today?  Did it emigrate when the factories closed down, or
did it just die out?

You talk about hair-dressers cars.  Add the MGF to the list.  It'll fit
right in with the Miata, MX2, RX-whatever.  At least the Germans are doing
something imaginative and in the process looking back to their roots.  The
soul of any truly sporting machine is not just in the driving.  If the
great cars of the past were ugly they would be forgotten now.

John McEwen

PS:  The name Rover is unlikely to create a wave of warmth and affection in
North America after the various disasters which occurred as a result of its
previous attempts to sell inferior cars to a dubious public.  In fact when
Rover tried to hide its origins with the Sterling, the result was
predictable.  Utter failure and even more people unlikely to ever consider
a Rover automobile again.

JMM