WooHoo - sort of. <G>

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: WooHoo - sort of. <G>
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 05:53:00 +1000
Hi all,

FINALLY, the MGA burst into life again today. Phew. What an effort. I tell
ya, If I ever meet the ahem 'person' that designed the two bolts that hold
the distributor on I'll bash him in an Alley or something. lol! You have to
be part Monkey to get at them!

Thanks to a suggestion by, err Mike I think, I checked the tappet
clearances, and whadayaknow, #1 & 2 were WAY off. The compression came up
20psi on that Cylinder -!. They are a bit more even now - ish.
130,130,150,150. After setting all the tappets and setting the static timing
she started up right away. No problem. Took it for a run, not bad but it
sounds very loud under the bonnet. I mean the tappets sound loud - and it
appears to have a very noisy exhaust. Like a Harley almost, that offbeat
sound.. Hmm..

So I checked the plugs. They are all black, even after a bit of a rev
session. I guess the carbs are too rich yes? I've never looked at these, the
mechanic used to do all work on this car. Any other ideas? I set the timing
to about 15 degrees dynamic, seemed happy there, right through the rev
range.

Going up a hill on the way back after a run, the thing plain died. Good
grief I thought. Managed to get it home. Started it in the driveway, checked
a couple of things and it wouldn't restart.... Hmm... Opened up one of the
float bowl lids.. <G> Whoops out of Gas! <G> lol!

Well if anyone might be able to account for the extra noise, plugs etc. Pls
drop me a line. I did clean out the head, no carbon now.

Cheers & Happy Easter,
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty - Sydney, Australia
1970 MG B GT        / 1961 MG A 1600 Mk1 / 1956 AH 100 BN2