Re: WooHoo - sort of. <G>

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: WooHoo - sort of. <G>
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 01:12:33 +1000
Hi all,

Well I have finally got the MGA reliable.. as always there's a BUT.. <G> I
set the dwell to 60 degrees, and replaced the distrib. cap and rotor with a
new one I had bought for my B. This cured the starting problem instantly.
Even after a drive it restarted straight away. The old cap was weird, non
removable leads.

Bad news is I now having pinging under load. I'm seeing 25+ degrees dynamic,
and it won't adjust down any further. I'm beginning to suspect the advance
springs in the dizzy, or the harmonic balancer mark is orf - which I will
check later statically and mark the pulley with liquid paper. I doubt this
though as I should be able to get the timing down to way below 25 degrees by
turning it left, but I can't! The dizzy fine adjustment bottoms out on the
starter motor and the dizzy won't turn any further, this is also with the
fine adjuster retarded as far as it will go.

Do the springs sound like a possibilty to you guys and girls! ?

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty - Sydney, Australia
1970 MG B GT        / 1961 MG A 1600 Mk1 / 1956 AH 100 BN2