Re: Petrol rip off

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Petrol rip off
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:39:01 EDT
In a message dated 8/11/99 1:08:14 PM, Ajhsys@aol.com writes:

<< In a message dated 8/11/99 12:03:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
martens@auditor.sk.ca writes:

<< Like the US report that
 stated over 50% of the price is represented by taxes, the same applies here
 - the last reported numbers were 54% taxes going to various levels of govt,
 and that would NOT include the income taxes, property taxes etc that oil
 companies also pay and have to build into their sales price.

 Complaints are usually aimed at the gouging oil companies,,,, what about
 those gouging govts?? >>

(RANT)
I was REALLY trying not to get into this thread. (I hate that term, too.)  In
Pennsylvania, land of perpetual road work, the prices range from $1.18 to
$1.50 gal.  That's not too bad, considering.

My feeling is that I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for gas if they would
use the extra income to FIX THE ******* ROADS!!!  We (PENNDOT) put our roads
on this rotating schedule for resurfacing, but they never get around to
fixing the roads that need it.  When a roads needs work, they put it on their
"20 year list" which means they will fix it in 20 years.  Some national
trucking organization constantly puts PA at the bottom of the "best roads"
list.
(/RANT)

Sorry for the rant.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport >>

People griping about the cost of gas in North America really should get out
more.  Notice the lack of any support from our UK brethren, who look at our
prices with extreme envy.  In fact, the price of fuel in most industrialized
nations is far in excess of ours.
The more I travel internationally the more I agree with Dorothy: "There's no
place like home."

J Donoghue
72 MGB
66 Mustang