Re: MGB aerodynamics

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB aerodynamics
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 22:25:59 +0000
Bob D. wrote:

> ...the wind starts to beat me up pretty good around 80 mph. Has
> anyone had their roadster up to 100 mph with the top down? What's it
> like?

Well if they left the Northern Hairpin at my local Mallala Racetrack
where it used to be (another half length on) then I might have been able
to reach 100mph, but nowdays I almost get to 90mph with the top down and
I don't feel much at all.  But then again I have a helmet on and when I
hit that top speed I am fairly much concentrating on just exactly when I
am going to hit the brakes (and not hit that bugger in the V8 braking on
the inside of me - or the one in the mini on the outside of me:-)!

I can't fit a soft top over my 'proper' height rollbar now, but when I
was running without a rollbar (shock/horror) I had a scary incident with
my midfold top which used to lift as described at 80mph when suddenly
the rear section of the top collapsed inwards (the way it folds when you
fold into the area behind the seats).  Fearful of the whole thing coming
away (rightly or wrongly, you only have a second to think, so it is hard
to consider the physics of it all) I was steering with one hand, hitting
the brakes for the corner, reaching behind to push the collapsed section
back up before reaching down again to change gears.  Now THAT was
interesting!

In my experience, the turbulance of racing topless probably loses me a
second or so per lap.  A hard top would be the way to go - or remove the
windscreen altogether (Brooklands-style) and let most of the air flow
straight through.  Then get an aerodynamic helmet (a la F1 - oops, not
on this list:-) to assist the air over/around your head.

Yes, I *do* go on - but from a LONG drive experience, cruising at 70mph
for four hours with the top down on a warm afternoon/evening run is
fantastic but your face end up numb from the turbulance and bit of hair
whipping your cheeks.

BUT... isn't all this stuff what we drive SPORTS cars for?

Drive a tank from down inside and you won't feel ANY wind!

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia

///