Re: 5 Speed - Why?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 5 Speed - Why?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:22:20 EDT
I read on this list and others of the various conversions to fit English or
American or Japanese tranmissions to MGs, and I sit here wondering what all
the fuss is about.

Yes, I understand that people want to be doing something to (supposedly)
enhance the performance of their cars, or to 'customise' them so that they
stand out from the crowd, and I suppose the transmission swaps are as good an
outlet for this as any.

But what many people seem to overlook, is that either of the 2 stock
transmissions is perfectly servicabe. I prefer the non-synch version,
although I do use them with CR gears, but I also have an MGC with the all
synch, so am familiar with both. The cost of converting to another
transmission is high (you can usually get a CR gear set for less), and you
end up with a non-stock car that doesn't necessarily function any better than
a stock one with OD.

I've driven and raced all versions of the stock transmissions, and there is
nothing about them that would have me aching to replace them, although I do
prefer the ratios in the CR version. Maybe that's just me......

Bill S.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list