Re: 5 Speed - Why?

To: cattias@cats.ucsc.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 5 Speed - Why?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:44:45 EDT
In a message dated 29/06/01 12:42:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
cattias@cats.ucsc.edu writes:

> I thought long and hard about immediately rebuilding the old tranny,
> and came to conclude that having an OD ratio was going to preserve
> the original 3-main engine and make driving more enjoyable on the
> freeway/long trips.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot of early OD
> core trannys for sale lately, and a core plus rebuild/exchange, drive
> shaft/vacuum switch would put the cost way over $2000.

We get checked out (ie  with bad parts like worn synchros replaced) early and
late OD trans in Vancouver for $1100-1400 Can.(higher for the earlier) or a
few hundred less as is. That should be no more than half what a conversion
would cost and perhaps less.

The conversion to 67-68 larger 4 bearing layshaft is a good idea and not
expensive to do when overhauling them.

I prefer the early box (all that torque lost in those needlessly large gears
of the 4 synch makes a difference to us racers), but either one is a sweet
transmission.

Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list