Re: Transporting an engine in an SUV

To: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@earthlink.net>, "MG List"
Subject: Re: Transporting an engine in an SUV
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:47:07 -0500
At 10:11 AM 7/23/03 -0500, Patton Dickson wrote:
>I just found a complete (minus carbs) motor for my '67 that I want to buy to
>replace the 18V in my car right now.  If I buy it, I am planning on driving
>my Isuzu Trooper over to get it (about a 5 hour trip).
>
>Any suggestions as to how to load it, I might have no help in moving it.  It
>is on an engine stand right now, but I would have to take it off of that to
>get it in.  How much will it weight?  300#?

For a few dollars and a couple hours of tinkering you can build and engine
carrier that allows two (reasonalbly strong) people to to move an MG engine
my hand.  It also does a marvelous job of supporting and stabilizing it
during transport (but you should still tie the engine to the sidewalls for
highway travel).  Check here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/carrier1.htm

go well if you set the engine in carrier on a couple of saw horses, back
the vehicle up to the table, and then slide the engine into the
vehicle.  In any case, figure on at least two normal size guys in good
physical condition for moving an engine by hand (and maybe have your health
insurance paid up in case of hernia or back problems).

You can place the engine on a movers dolly for easy roll about on a smooth
floor.  I made one of these from a small piece of plywood and a cheap set
of 500 pound capacity casters.  I rigged another one by removing the seat
from a mechanic's seat creeper and using the bottom tray on casters.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com