attachment points, front fender

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: attachment points, front fender
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:14:09 -0500 (EST)
Hi gang,
        Spring opened with a 77F here in NJ today, about 50 days early.
So I had to pull my 76B out
of the garage and change the oil. In doing so, I grabbed onto the
base of the front fender just behind the wheel as I slid under the
chassis. In so doing, I felt a shower of rust and then the base of the
fender was no longer attached to the rest of the chassis. (I can only
describe it as something like the non-bound pages of a book.)
        I could see no attachment sites. Looking through Porter's book, I
found the section on Front Wing Removal. It indicated (2nd edition, p. 59,
figure FWR4) that 3 cross head screws anchor the bottom of the front wing
in place. I see no signs of them, but that may be the problem.

I'm just wondering about a quick fix (realizing that quick fix and 30 year
old MGB is an oxymoron.)  I'm not up to an off the frame restoration yet,
so how about just adding a new anchor point or two with self-tapping sheet
metal screws.

Bill Saidel
'76B
BMCSNJ