pedal wobble

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: pedal wobble
From: "Daniel Hackney" <daniel.hackney@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:41:35 -0500
Hello all,

I'd like to fix what I find to be an annoying trait of my '72 GT: the
brake and clutch pedals each have a fair amount of side to side play.

The play exists between the distance tube and the cross bolt, not
between the distance tube and bushing.  Using a caliper, I measured
the bolt (3/8") to be 0.371" OD on average.  The bolt doesn't have
grooves in it or appear worn in any way.  The existing distance tubes
measured 0.385" and 0.380" ID.  The two replacements that I purchased
(from a reputable supplier) measured 0.392" and 0.387" ID.  This
hundredth is enough slop to translate to a lot of movement at the end
of each pedal.

I realize these aren't high precision parts, but surely I can do a bit
better.  Are they all like this, or does there exist a fix that I am
missing?

-Dan