Re: Areas of concern on a Morgan Chassis.

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Areas of concern on a Morgan Chassis.
From: "Jeff Webster" <webster@buyclassiccars.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:53:37 -0400
Hi everyone,

I will soon begin the restoration of my 1958 Morgan and was
wondering about a couple of things.

Where do most of you find you've had problems with the chassis,
i.e.: Cracks, rust etc?

Secondly, I know you can buy chassis from the factory that are
'strengthened' - I believe that they put 'gussets' between the
main chassis rails and the cross sections, but I don't know which
ones and if that's all they do - Has anyone had this done?

I can tell you on my two Morgan's that they have had chassis
problems in three areas;

1) Stress cracks on the chassis rail directly beneath the doors -
in one case it cracked right through on BOTH sides so if it
weren't for the doors, the car would almost have broken in two!

2) Stress cracks on the chassis in the rear where the chassis
dips down beneath the axle. Again theses cracks almost go through
the entire frame rail and screw up the handling as it affects the
other end of the chassis where the rear leaf spring attaches

3) The biggest rust problems have been behind the plate where the
rear lever-arm shocks attach, as well as the underside of the
chassis cross section boxes.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Jeff Webster

Buy Classic Cars!
http://www.BuyClassicCars.com
http://www.BuyClassicCarParts.com